A psychiatrist adheres to the medical model; thus they assess, diagnose and treat psychological problems by way of biological research. Psychiatrists prescribe medication to alleviate symptoms.
Psychologists, on the other hand, assess, diagnose, and treat psychological problems and the behavioural issues resulting from, or related to physical and mental health. We play a major role in understanding how biological, behavioural and social factors influence health, and illness.
Psychologists are trained to perceive:
- How behavioural and cognitive functions are altered
- The factors that contribute to alteration of behavioural and cognitive functions
- How these dysfunctions are diagnosed and treated
In dealing with such problems, we are also trained and skilled in using several psychological, psychodiagnostic, and psychotherapeutic techniques, which help and affect the abilities of individuals to function in diverse settings and roles. In addition, psychologists help people to modify their behaviour and lifestyle so as to prevent and recover from health problems.
The team as Mississauga Psychology Centre aim to improve the well-being of clients, alleviate their distress, resolve their crises, and increase their ability to solve problems and make decisions.
Methods we use to achieve this include:
- Psychological assessment, diagnosis and treatment planning;
- Evidence-based therapy, including cognitive-behaviour therapy, motivational interviewing, relapse prevention, and approaches aimed at reduction of positive symptoms, adaptation to disability and improvement of psychosocial functioning;
- Family work (family psycho-education, problem solving, therapy to reduce trauma experienced by careers and clients, and to reduce relapse rates).
Mississauga Psychology Centre provides interventions in the areas of:
- Anxiety (OCD, GAD, PTSD, Panic)
- Mood disorders (depression, bipolar affective disorder)
- Anger Management
- Relationship issues
- Learning disability, developmental challenges, behavioural problems, gifted
- Vocational assessment
Mississauga Psychology Centre will work collaboratively with you and your patients to provide optimal mental health service, and help your patients adjust to change or make positive changes to their lifestyle.
For more information about our service and how we can work together, contact us.